Friday, August 10, 2012

Moving on the HIghways of My Life, My Silly Life


(Disclaimer: The song, "The Highways of My Life" by the Isley Brothers, the video, and the snippets of its lyrics that were used in this post, belong to the legitimate copyright holders. No infringement of any kind is intended.)

Ah, the highways of my life. Truth be told, they are clearly marked by detours, dead-ends and stretches of road filled with pockmarks that alternate with speed-limiting humps.

Humps on a highway? Well, what can I say? I happen to have a little non-conformist highway of my own. Not to mention that the maintenance crew tasked to keep this particular highway smooth and clear all seem to have long ago called it a day.

Don't be put off if I sound disillusioned somehow. It's  just that a few nights back, I has been  drinking with some friends in a little cozy bar in Wanchai and  after  having a rocking good time, we decided to eventually  go home, trying our best not to stagger.

You can imagine it, I'm sure. Bunch of tipsy men talking amongst themselves while walking home, having a good time when sh*t happens. Trust me to pop everyone's happy balloon as out of nowhere I started to hum, then softly sing "Highways of My Life" by the Isley Brothers. 

Who knows why I did it? Was there something in the drinks I had that triggered an old memory or what? Why am I asking you this when I'm certain you don't know? But then, again, neither do I, so...
Anyway, the first paragraph (or stanza, as my suddenly annoyed friend Edward pointed out to me) was the one that grabbed my attention the most.

Moving down the highways of my life
Makin' sure I stay to the right
Moving down the highways of my life
So I shan't be concerned
With the other side of the road

Nice lyrics, right? 
The thing is, as far as my life has gone so far, I've only been able to stay true to the 1st three lines of that particular paragraph (stanza! okay, okay!)

I found it hard not to be concerned about the "other side of the road" such that when one of my former officemates abruptly lost her job (read: she was fired), I found it hard not to show her some sympathy and empathize with her to the point that I also eventually got mad with our boss, and decided to leave.

Heh. Not a very bright lightbulb decision that was, huh?

My boss at the time tried to make me reconsider. He was very puzzled why I wouldn't give a reason for wanting to leave. But by then, I was too wrapped up in pity for my officemate that he fired, that I could not even bear to look him in the eye.

Long story short, I got what I wanted (meaning I lost my job too lol) and if you think that my officemate and I got together after that, you're one sentimental sap. Woot!

It turned out that she and the boss had a thing going  on between them, and they had had  a huge argument that resulted in some choice words being exchanged inside the boss' room, that resulted in her getting fired (but of course, since the boss' secretary was there and witnessed the ugly scene and the boss had to save face, right?).

Anyway, I found out all about those things much later, when she and my ex-boss invited me to attend the christening of their first child. It was a very "haaaargh, David, you fool" moment, as you can well imagine. lol

And it's been that way for the most part. While I move on this non-superhighway that is my (silly) life, I have been faced with situations calling for monumental decisions to be made.
 
What do I do during such times?

Why, I botch it up, what else?

Da da dop da da ah
Down the highway da de da
Da da dop da da ah
Down the highway da de da
Da da dop da da ah
Down the highway da de da
Da da dop da de ah
Down the highway da de ah


Welcome to an opinion piece by David Garcia.
 Got something to say? Feel free to comment. :)
----------------------------
Thanks to Josh Peterson for this real cool template design.

No comments: