Thursday, August 9, 2012

Maude to Ken: Just STFU, Will You?

I am conflicted about my car.

A car is a valuable investment and I dare anyone to contradict that statement.  Hey, nice rhyme, huh? lol

Even if you buy the cheapest car you can get your hands on, when you shell out money, it's still an investment. 

Whether that car is going to be used to pick up a date or a cadaver (a funeral hearse is still a car, after all, and sometimes your date may look like a cadaver, and vice-versa) or it is going to be used as a prop in an action movie where after a gut-wrenching car chase, one of the cars suddenly endS up in flames after crashing into whatever... hmm... I suddenly miss the days when Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg  would shoot his movies in Hong Kong. (That's Van Damme to the clueless. Hmm again... that gives me a good idea of something to write about, but more on that in another post. I'll stick talking about cars this time.)
 
More than the cost of the actual car itself, you have to factor in other costs associated with owning a car such as car insurance, fuel costs, repair costs, and taxes paid. If you got the car on credit, then you also need to think about help to pay the loan back. Plus, if you move from one place to another without any garage or parking space set aside just for you in those places, you also need to factor in parking tickets.

That's why keeping your car in good condition is the same as protecting your investment. When you keep your vehicle in good condition, that money you save will go a long way towards the other expenses you need in connection with ownership.

Whether you are a new car owner or a veteran owner of many car models through the years, the need to have a well maintained car remains the same. Sometimes, car owners become too busy that they neglect to keep tabs on the condition of their cars. The thing is, many car problems could be avoided with a little careful foresight.

There's a saying that goes "marry in haste, repent in measure."  In my opinion, that little piece of advice can be applied as well to car ownership.

After all, car owners specially men (ahem) often develop a very intense and passionate attachment to their cars. It's just like having a lover that they want to possess to the very core.

And that's how it is between me and Maude. 

Maude. My car. My girl.

Yes, it's a terribly old-fashioned name. No, she isn't old-fashioned. But yes, she is old. So maybe that's why she's  grumpy.

But grumpy or not, I feel so responsible about her. I am so attached to her. I guess it's like being in a long marriage. I don't know really, is this what it feels like?

Anyway, I admit to being inordinately possessive of Maude. I can't let her go even when every bit of logic inside me dictates that I get rid of her.

How? I am so attached! So much so, in fact, that when she suddenly freezes and refuses to budge, conking out on me during the most inopportune times, I am unable to torch her, much less kick her wheels. Even when I am at the verge of having a nervous breakdown.

Yes, I am conflicted about my car.

And I'm thinking of getting a replacement.

The problem is, I'm not the kind of guy who easily falls in and out of love. I don't abandon women, my women, just like that, either.

Even, if as stated, they are a royal PITA.

Look, I have tried to be liberal-minded about her. Originally, I wanted to be the only one to tinker with her and her little intimate spots (greasy spark plugs, anyone?) and that went on for a very looooooooong time.  But lately, I guess I just wasn't enough for her anymore. No matter what I did, she kept on behaving erratically.

So, I brought her to Ken, my mechanic friend, who promptly offered me a "good deal" or so he said.

Allow me to quote Ken verbatim: "David, it's time. You must say goodbye to Maude."

I looked at him like he had suddenly grown a pair of horns and a pointed tail. 

"Dave, c'mon. We're friends, right?"

I knew he was about to say something disastrous.

"Right, we're friends. So, this is what I'll do since Maude is beyond repair. Here's two hundred dollars."

Ken was smiling at me. He was missing one tooth smack in the middle of his mouth and looking through that gap, I could imagine the torments of hell in the darkness beyond.

"Take it. I'll get rid of her for you. I'll take care of bringing her to the junk shop. Two hundred dollars, take it, friend. Not bad for a girl as beat-up and tired like your Maude."

Maude, my Maude, beat-up and tired? That was it. I called up a towing service and asked them to bring Maude back home.

Old, beat-up, tired and grumpy lady she may be, but she's MY lady.

My investment in her has gone way past money. My Maude and I, we're going to rust together.



Welcome to an opinion piece by David Garcia.
 Got something to say? Feel free to comment. :)
----------------------------
Thanks to Josh Peterson for this real cool template design.

No comments: