Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mishmash

My friend, Edward (he of the "stanza! not paragraph!" fame) had a heart-to-heart talk with me yesterday (if such things actually happen between guys. I think describing it as "heart-to-heart" is about as accurate as saying that an elephant would look good in pink ballet shoes. Anyway...)

He told me that he had just read my blog. This blog.

I said whatever for?

He said because Albert's wife (Albert works with me, and he and his wife are mutual friends of ours) had come across this blog and told her husband, who told Edward.

I said, and...?

And he said, "David, you suck."

I didn't know whether he meant it as a compliment or not. See, Albert is an American, he grew up in California. That should be enough to give you an idea why I was having misgivings about how to interpret his comment. 

Still, I was curious, so I asked him pointblank.

"By suck, do you mean I am awful, or just an awfully inferior blogger?"

"There's a difference?"

"Well, yes. The first definition disparages me. The second, my writing style."

He shook his head violently. So violently that I thought it would fall off.

"Neither! Are you crazy? Why would I insult you or the way you write? You're one of my closest, dearest friends!"

"Oh-kay..."

"It's just that, there's no rhyme or reason to what you write in your blog! It's just a mishmash of this and that! You have no theme!"

Theme?

"Don't you know that the most successful bloggers write for a particular niche, have a specific theme? That's what I read on the Net!"

Nope, obviously I didn't know. But then again, what would be the point of having a theme of my own?

"You could make money with your blog, you fool! You could put ads on it and so on and so forth! But you would only make money if your blog were popular! And the way you write about just any blasted thing you think of, well..."

I opened my laptop and went to my blog. This blog.

Then I pointed to the very top, directly at where it says "Opinions by David Garcia" and asked Edward to read it with me. Word for word. 

David Garcia, that's me, and these are my opinions on anything that grabs my attention and motivates me to write. Technology is primarily what I'm into. Being in places such as Hong Kong, Amsterdam and Rome is what keeps me sane and happy.

I asked him what part of "these are my opinions on anything that grabs my attention and motivates me to write" did he not understand.

Edward stared at me for a good minute or so, then gave me a lopsided grin, yawned and stretched and asked me to go out with him for a couple of beers or maybe four.

So, there, Edward. 

Now that you have been mentioned twice already in my blog, you are now immortalized and part of this lovely mishmash.

Serves you right. hahahaha







Welcome to an opinion piece by David Garcia.
 Got something to say? Feel free to comment. :)


No comments: